- Test of Proficiency in Korean
- 한국어 능력 시험
- Providing Korean language learning directions for overseas Koreans or foreigners who do not speak Korean as their first language and expanding the spread of Korean language
- Measuring and evaluating Korean language proficiency and using the results to study at Korean universities and employment in Korean companies
- Overseas Koreans and foreigners who do not speak Korean as their native language
- Applicants to domestic and overseas Korean companies and public institutions
- Overseas Koreans who attend or graduate from a foreign school
2 years from the date of test results
Use of examination
- Admission and bachelor's management for foreign scholars invited by the government
- Admission to Korean universities and graduate schools with overseas Koreans who have completed 12 years of foreign education
- Acquisition, selection, and personnel criteria for employment Candidates for Korean Companies
- Recognition of domestic license of foreign doctor
- Korean Language Teacher Qualification Examination for foreigners (National Institute of Korea)
- Acquisition of permanent residency
- Application for marriage immigrant visa
- Recognition as completion of social Integration program curriculum (assignment according to TOPIK level)
- 2 test types: TOPIK I, TOPIK II
- Level: Level 1~ Level 6
- The score will be determined based on the total score earned by the candidate.
||Level 5 ||Level 6
||80 ~ 139
||140 ~ 200
||120 ~ 149
||150 ~ 189
||190 ~ 229
||230 ~ 300
Testing Sections Breakdown
||Test period||Section (duration)
||Number of test item
||Listening (40 mins)
|Reading (60 mins)
||Listening (60 mins)
|Writings (50 mins)
||Reading (70 mins)
Linguistic Competence for Each TOPIK Level
- Able to carry out basic conversations related to daily surviving skills such as self-introduction, purchasing, ordering food, etc.
- Able to understand the contents related to very personal and familiar subjects such as himself/herself, family, hobby, weather, etc.
- Able to create simple sentences based on a basic vocabulary of about 800 words and possess an understanding of basic grammar
- Able to understand and compose simple and useful sentences related to everyday life
- Able to carry out simple conversations related to daily routines such as making phone calls and asking favor.
- Able to use public facilities in daily life.
- Able to use about 1,500 to 2,000 vocabulary and understand personal and familiar subjects in certain order, such as paragraphing.
- Able to use formal expression and informal expression accordingly, corresponding to the situation.
- Able to carry out daily routine, with use of public facilities and able to socialize without significant difficulty.
- Able to express or understand social subjects familiar to oneself, as well as specific subjects, based on paragraph.
- Able to understand and differentiate written language and spoken language based on their distinctive basic characteristics.
- Able to use various public facilities, socialize, and carry out some degree of ordinary work
- Able to understand easy parts in news broadcasts and newspapers
- Able to understand and use expressions related to social and abstract subjects relatively correctly and fluently
- Able to understand social and cultural subjects, based on understanding of Korean culture and frequently used idiomatic expression
- Able to perform linguistic function to a certain degree which is necessary for research and work in professional fields
- Able to understand and use expressions related to even unfamiliar aspects of politics, economics, society and culture
- Able to use the expression properly, depending on the formal, informal, spoken/written context
- Able to perform linguistic function necessary to the research and work in professional fields relatively correctly and fluently
- Able to understand and use the expressions related to even unfamiliar subjects in politics, economics, society and culture
- Able to experience no difficulty in performing the functions or conveying meaning, although proficiency has not reached full native speaker proficiency